east barnet parish church header image

Hatchments

hatchmentThe Funeral Hatchments of St Mary’s Church are a major part of our local history, practically all that is left of the ‘great’ families who lived in East Barnet’s grand lodge houses and halls in centuries past.

Hatchments developed in the early 1600s from the Tudor custom of carrying a heraldic shield before the coffin in the funeral procession.  The lozenge-shaped frame bears a family coat of arms, and would have been carried fixed to the side of the hearse or carriage.  After the funeral it would have been placed over the main entrance of the house for up to twelve months as a sign of mourning, and then moved to the parish church as a reminder to pray for the family.  St Mary’s has ten hatchments—an unusually large number for a small parish church, but records tell us that at one time there were 120 stored in the roof-space!

Hatchment 1Hatchment 2Hatchment 3

The diagrams to the left show how the background denotes the deceased status:



1.Man leaving a surviving wife

2.Woman leaving a surviving husband

3.Man who dies after his first wife (her arms top right), and before his second wife (her arms bottom right)

A Brief Introduction to the Hatchments in St Mary’s Church

Hatchment TREVOROn North Wall, in gallery

THOMAS TREVOR who died 6th December 1741. He lived at Trevor Hall, which was demolished in 1930 and is where Stuart Road is now situated. The all black hatchment with a lion standing up (lion rampant) depicts the bearings of a bachelor.

Hatchment TEMPESTOn North Wall

Mrs ANN TEMPEST of Little Grove, who died on 31st July 1817,  and greatly improved the house and erected a chapel. (impaling Townsend)


On North Wall, by the pulpit

THOMAS WYATT who died in April 1834, of Willenhall House, formerly Belle Vue, the house having been pulled down in 1900. He was an East Indian Merchant.  (impaling Reeves)

Hatchment BALLARD LONGOn South Wall of Nave

MARY BALLARD LONG, nee Beckford, died 16th January 1797, of the Manor, wife of Edmund Long of Grays Inn, London, a Judge of Vice-Admiralty Court, Jamaica.


In the porch

FREDERICK CASS of Little Grove, who died on 17th May 1861, whose eldest son was Rector of Hadley and a local historian. This is black on the left with a small sheaf of wheat in the left hand corner. (impaling Potter)

Hatchment LONGOn the North Wall of the Alban Chapel

The hatchment with the black on the right and two cherubs is that of MARY LONG nee Thomlinson, who died 16th February 1818. She was the wife of Edward Beeston Long , and lived at the Manor which originally belonged to St Albans Abbey and was probably near the Church.

Hatchement A TREVOROn the North Wall of the Side Chapel

ARABELLA TREVOR who died in 1789 and lived on land which was part of the Manor of Buckskin Hall, of Cockfosters. The skull at the bottom of the hatchment denotes that she was the end of her line.

Hatchment ROPEROn the North Wall of the Side Chapel

The hatchment with two large animals standing up on each side of a plaque is for TREVOR CHARLES ROPER, 18th LORD DACRE who died 4th July 1794, and was possibly nephew of Arabella Trevor.

Hatchment WARREOn the North Wall of the Side Chapel

Rear Admiral HENRY WARRE, died 22nd November 1826, was a former churchwarden (1800), lived at Granada Cottage, bottom of Capel Road, which was demolished in 1926 , or at the Grange, East Barnet.  He captured two French vessels-of-war off the coast of South America in 1795.

Hatchment KINGSTONOn the outer South wall, beside the Vestry door

Mrs JANE KINGSTON, who died 3rd July 1810, lived at Oak Hill. Her husband purchased, in 1790, Osidge House (or Ussage House) for £7,350, re-built it, and which was sold by his Trustees in 1868 for £12,350. (impaling Knightley)

Find us on